Monday 18 January 2010

Into the System

He was right. Forty-five minutes to be precise. To a very nice young lady with a Livepool accent who took me through a vast number of questions. The first one was "Do you want to apply for Job Seekers Allowance?" I said, "I don't know, what's the criteria?" Well, that's not the way it's done. You have to go through the application process, then someone, somewhere makes the decision as to whether you qualify.

Same with Council Tax. "Did I want to apply for a Council Tax rebate?" I said, "I don't know, I suspect I have too much in savings. What's the criteria?" If, at this stage, she had been permitted to say that if I had more than £16k in savings, then don't bother, it would have saved both of us an enormous amount of time.

As it was, I came off the phone, having divulged more personal information to the charming Liverpudlian than I ever have to my gynaecologist, but with a Hot Date with the Job Centre for two days hence.

I can't wait to find out what happens there, beyond the welcoming committee.

No comments:

Post a Comment