Friday 22 January 2010

Epiphany

It's almost religious.

I have spent the last two weeks reading. I dread to think what Eva will have to say about this, but I have. And I have learned more about how I will eventually get a job in these two weeks than ever before. Because I have learned that it's like passing your driving test. It's not necessarily the best drivers that get through, it's the ones that know how to pass the test.

Thanks to three reference books* I am inspired. Buoyed up. Full of pep and ready to take on the world. Even Eva.

I trudge through the snow (passing an unobservant man wearing shorts) and fall through the door (still broken), greeted by Man Mountain, who admires my Doc Martens - the only thing the stylish girl-about-town wears in inclement weather - and I learn he is a rugby man. I don't expect he could run very fast, but I bet he would stop a herd of charging rhinos if they dared try.

Eva is not there. I see a lovely young lady, very smiley and encouraging. She doesn't get a word in. I am off, preaching my new-found religion, whilst she sits there (full eye contact - Eva, take note) and smiles in a bemused fashion. I rant on about the books I've read and my whole new philosophy on the job seeking path. "Well, I think you should get a job as an inspirational speaker and coach!" is her response, when I finally shut up. Bless. I note from her badge that she is a trainee. I wonder how long it will be before her good nature and positive approach will be ground down into cynical dust.

It seems I have done enough to warrant another two weeks of JS Allowance. "More than most people I've seen today" she mutters, sotto voce.

*What Colour is Your Parachute?
*The CV Book
*Brilliant Cover Letters

No comments:

Post a Comment