Thursday 10 June 2010

180 Degrees

I don't know Jenna, but if she wants to be my new best friend, that's fine with me.

Jenna is on the other end of the 0845 number that leads directly to JobCentrePlus. It's 8am and I'm determined to get in early. A late night 'phone call from a mate (the PRINCE2 mate) leads me to believe the JC have got it wrong. About me not being able to work for a limited number of hours, that is. Surely not? I mean, this is a massive deal, considering the number of people who go through that JC, all, surely, asking the same question.

I ask Jenna what the limitations are. "Sixteen hours" she replies promptly. Yes, but doing what, I ask? The question stumps her. "Well, anything you like". So, I press on. I'm not limited to charity work then? "No, of course not". And it's OK for me to take advantage of this unpaid training opportunity? Jenna hesitates, but only because she thinks it's a trick question. If she were permitted, I'm sure she would come out with "Duuur"?

There's a pause, then Jenna says, "But your JC should be able to tell you this". I explain to the dear, wonderful, girl that my JC is saying the absolute opposite and there was me about to sign-off and lose my precious ABI1 form. Jenna is at a loss and advises me to check out the DWP website, which does, indeed, confirm the 16-hours-do-what-you-like-get-paid-or-unpaid rule. (Of course, any earnings will be deducted off JSA, but seeing as I don't get that anyway, and mine is unpaid work, it's a double-moot point).

I put the 'phone down with a sense of supreme relief. Thank goodness. I can proceed with this opportunity, continue to job-hunt on the side and not get evicted. Trebles all round!

It's not till later that I get mad. Fuming that essential government policy can somehow be so badly misinterpreted by those in a position of trust, advising the desperate. I'm not sure how I will tackle this at my next signing-on. One thing's for sure, I will tackle it.

Perhaps I will get them to 'phone the fragrant Jenna. My new best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment