Monday 22 February 2010

Essential Admin

The good news is that I have secured an appointment to collect an ABI1 form. The not-so-good news is that it is with Bellicose Brenda.

I sit opposite Brenda and note that her badge states her job as 'Customer Service'. Considering my only other encounter with BB fell somewhere short of an enriching customer experience, I reserve judgement. We go through the formalities and I begin to warm to Brenda. She's a bit of a Jobsworth, but I don't detect any malice. I have to conclude that when she pursued me through the JC to berate me on my timekeeping, she was, in fact, just following orders. Working in this place must eventually make you one of two things: (a) anal, or (b) apathetic and she is definitely the former.

Brenda is nursing laryngitis and says that's why she can't answer the constantly ringing 'phone. But then, neither does anyone else. It rings. And rings. And rings. This, despite Mr In-Tray wafting around the vicinity.

I also ask about travel expenses for my first interview in just over a week. (An interview! I am beyond excited!) Considering that meaningfully engaging with the public is not her strongest point, Brenda does a pretty fair job of smiley encouragement. Not a patch on Adorable Emma, of course.

Leaving the JC I am triumphant. I have the completed ABI1 form, plus an expenses form for my travel to London. The 'phone is still ringing as the door closes behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment